This two-day workshop will blend cutting edge neurobiology with treatment strategies supporting clinicians who serve the Autism Spectrum Disordered population. A deeper and current understanding of the mechanisms of the brain-body science of ASD will be explored to allow occupational therapists, speech language pathologists, physiotherapists and other professionals to create evidence informed choices of treatments for individual clients across a wide range of treatment modalities.
Day 1– Participants will:
- Develop a preliminary understanding of the current science of genetic/environmental interaction in the development of ASD.
- Develop an advanced understanding of how the immune system and the brain interact and how this affects behaviour.
- Understand how the science of sensory regulation and neuroplasticity can be used in therapeutic intervention.
- Learn advanced treatment techniques to support regulation (sensory, cognitive and emotional).
Day 2– Participants will:
- Develop an advanced understanding of sensory processing in the autistic brain.
- Learn advanced sensory processing interventions for the child with autism (sensory processing intervention, therapeutic listening, integrated listening system).
- Develop an advanced understanding of the brain parts involved in motor control in autism.
- Develop an advanced understanding of motor intervention and how this supports clients with autism.
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehab Hospital
150 Kilgour Road
FEES: $495 +$64 (HST)= $559
(includes breakfast, snacks, lunch and handouts)
Mail/e-mail REGISTRATION FORM to:
The Learning Workshop
222 Winding Lane Thornhill,
Ontario, L4J 5J6
Phone: (647) 864-3354
SPONSORED BY: The Learning Workshop